Wednesday 3 September 2014

Foraging

A spot of foraging doesn't half lift the spirits!

Last evening I decided that the brambles along the roadway really needed their loads lightening, so after paying the rent I picked and grazed my way back home. (The rent book was put to excellent use fending off nettles which got in the way).

Then, leaving berries and rent book on the wall I climbed over the gate to see what my cottage looked like from the back, don't you find things are often quite alien if you look at them from a different angle?

Unfortunately (for you) I didn't have my camera with me, fortunately for me as I fell into a bit of a quagmire! I waded and slithered around the back yard and found an old boreen, a lot of fallen sticks and branches and a good bit of mud, also some midges. So this is what I returned with:

Loot
 A potential water butt, two (not very old) useful bottles for putting flowers in, a couple of fires' worth of sticks and:
Specially valuable loot
...an old tin pan suitable for use as an ash bucket, as well as the blackberries, of course.

Not bad huh? Saved me the price of an ash bucket, two bags of kindling and fruit for dessert and breakfast...I'll have to see how to rig up the water butt. And what did it cost me? A few hours of enjoyment clambering up and down the ditches, through a bit of a marshy patch in the peace and quiet of a windless evening discovering the lay and remains of the old homestead I'm living on. And some midge bites I suppose.

It can be a good life sometimes.

I must remember that.

2 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Looks like you got quite a haul for all your troubles!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Did you get the good life on TV (in the 70s or 80s?) your day sounds like the sort of thing Tom would do!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...