Friday 6 November 2009

Bits and Bobs!

I thought you would like to see yesterday's rainbow? It was lovely, and if you knew the amount of rain we've had this week you'd be thankful for God's promise not to flood the earth again too!
The Hub lit the stove yesterday morning so the house was lovely and warm when I returned from school. The singing went fine, it was the first session this term with all four senior classes- 112 children. Its always exciting for them and me when we start getting eveyone together and yesterday was no exception.
D'you remember the children's cartoon 'The Land that Time Forgot'? I think it was about dinosaurs though I never actually saw it since we didn't have TV in East Africa; well this is some fabric from 'The Trunk that Time Forgot'!
Some of it is truly awful, and its only '80's fabric, not even '70's! And to think I just loved the garments which Mom made me, AND thought I was the bee's knees - the orange check was a dress with flared skirt, blue striped flannel was pyjamas, blue flowery was harem pants (~+>#<~+!), tie dye was a duvet cover I believe, muzzy brown a circular skirt, and those fluorescent jobs were shorts...and in case you are very charitably thinking 'well I'm sure she had a smaller bum back then', its very kind of you but you're WRONG! I've always had an outsize backside and likely to continue so!
Have you noticed that the Christmas Charity and Donations ad.s have begun on TV? Last night we were watching one about sponsoring a dog so I asked Ben and Bertie what they thought? Ben-dog said that he wasn't interested unless it was a sponsored Stone Throwing contest, honestly! Talk about disinterest!
I had to watch it twice and I laughed until I cried!
Yesterday in the Staffroom I was successfully wound up two new members of staff- I wonder whether the Principal includes it in the fine print of their contract because very rarely does anyone stop me, and frequently they join in! One teacher commented that I was drinking water and I insisted it was vodka until she began to wonder and someone else had to soothe her!
The the new Learning Support teacher (who happens to be Canadian) was asking how the Swimming Sessions worked because today will be the first one. The Principal told him he would be expected to go with the children and I could see he thought the Principal meant 'go swimming' as opposed to 'go supervise'. I'm sorry to say I leaped into the breach and told him he'd need his wet-suit rather than togs because they didn't go swimming in the Sports Complex any more but out at Rosses Point. The beach? sez he. Oh no, sez I, the pool, haven't you seen it, there's an old tidal swimming pool which is used. Another teacher added that due to the Recession, parents decided to cut the swimming costs.
Well we had the poor guy fairly going, not knowing what to think, before the Principal burst out laughing and gave away the game!
Yeah! yeah! I know! But he's a good sport- and five minutes later I heard another teacher telling him that this awful weather was all coming from Canada! Anyone coming to teach would need to be well able for us! And most are, luckily!

4 comments:

Micki said...

It is funny how our taste in fabric changes! I loved the link and thanks so much!
Againm thanks for the congratulations!
Micki

Constructive Attitude said...

aww that rainbow makes me happy :)

ladydi said...

Oh, yes, the old fabric stash. I have been the beneficiary of three different people ruthlessly disposing of things they no longer had room for, and I have A LOT of such fabric. LOL. I was able to glean a few nice pieces to add to my "good" stash. With fabric, my theory is you never know when something might come in handy. Of course finding it when I want it is an entirely different matter. :>} I hope things (especially your car!) dry up a bit in your part of the world.

Andrea said...

Hi, Heckety! So sorry I have not visited in a while. I have been thinking of you, hoping you are well.

What a beautiful rainbow! It reminds us that God's promises are sure!!!

Many blessings to you for your Sunday!

Andrea

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...