Sunday 21 June 2009

Father's Day and two favourite recipes

In which our heroine samples her own baking rather too liberally for the waist band of her jeans, and Sos starts for Spain.

Middle daughter, Sos, Headed to Dublin on the evening bus today, the first part of the holiday in Spain. Their flight leaves at 6am tomorrow so they’ll be in the airport overnight. Two parents suddenly started to have hairy conniptions last night about their children going away. After some thought Mum had the great idea of discovering the name of the Irish Embassy’s Third Sec. as well as the Embassy telephone number. I don’t know whether that will lay any of the fears to rest but it was all we could come up with.
Personally speaking, I don’t know how anyone brings up children without absolute faith in God’s providence. When my children are away from me I can only ask that God holds each one in the palm of His hand and doesn’t let them stray away from His plans for them. Many years ago I read an interview with a father whose son was killed by guerrillas when working in South America. After months of grief, horror and rage, the father heard the still small voice of God telling him, ‘In all things give thanks.’ It’s stayed in my head and although I’ve not had to practise it I hope I might have such courage as he demonstrated. But relying on the Lord is the only way I can let my girls out of my sight with any degree of serenity.

Would you believe that we all forgot Father’s Day? I rushed into the newsagent after Church to buy a card for the girls to give the Hub, and then rang my Dad when I got home. He’d walked down to the kiosk to get strawberries so I left a message for Mum to relay! He must have got pretty wet as it has been a very damp, grey day.

My family were watching ‘Top Gear’ earlier and there was the most wonderful steam train on the program. I just love steam engines; I reckon the Harry Potter films wouldn’t have been nearly as magical without the wonderful shots of the Hogwarts’ Express at the beginnings chugging through such beautiful countryside! When the Hub retires we are going to go on all the world’s longest train journeys- not that he knows it yet, its just something I dream of doing. My folks travelled the Trans-Canadian Railway a few years ago and they truly loved it, and the scenery was fantastic.

This morning’s Old Testament reading was about David and Goliath (1 Samuel Ch.17 v. 32-49) Three different people got three different points from it, which just goes to show how relevant the Bible remains, I think. The Hub was taking the morning Service at an old People’s home- he read how David discarded the King’s armour and went out in faith to do battle. Our Rector preached a message about standing firm in God’s Truth and power, even when it would appear that we are weak and out-numbered. What I got from reading and preparing the hymns was that David was prepared to risk everything, including his life, in order to fight the enemy of God’s people. Would I have the courage to do that? I’m very much afraid that I wouldn’t, even if I thought I would. Anyhow it was thought provoking for sure.

Yesterday when baking, I found an old biscuit recipe from an American friend which we used to make at College when we were having a girls’ gathering. I’ll post it below as its really easy and very good. Needless to say they disappeared very fast. Another thing I made was Mandazi, Kenyan doughnuts. They are utterly different to doughnuts here, substituting spice for the sugar, and not yeast based. We love them but they are quite rich so I don’t make them too often. They were swooped upon and before any of the visitors even arrived!

B wants a motorbike, preferably a vintage one!! She’s torn between saving towards a return trip to Disneyland, or a motorbike. Such decisions for a 14 year old!!

Jam Squares

2 cups oatmeal
1 ¾ cups flour
1 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup jam

Combine all ingredients except jam. Set aside 2 cups mixture, press remaining mixture into greased pan (smaller pan, thicker biscuits, larger pan, thinner). Spread jam over base (usually need to add little hot water to make it spread) and sprinkle with reserved mixture.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25-ish minutes.

Mandazi

1 ¼ cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamon
Pinch salt
1 egg
¼ cup milk
oil for frying

Mix together. Roll out to ¾ inch thick and cut into triangles. Fry in hot oil until golden. Makes about a dozen. Smaller triangles wil turn out crispy, larger will be chewy. Traditional Mandazi are fairly chewy.

2 comments:

Micki said...

Father's Day is not a big thing here too, as Joe is only dad to our two dogs. What a wonderful post! Thanks for the recipes.
I will have to try them!
Micki

BT said...

Oh those recipes sound wonderful, but the 2nd. How many calories? Millions? I'd better avoid it! Jim (other half) think Father's Day is over-rated so tells his children not to bother. The only message he had was from my daughter! I did a post on my father, who I miss to this day, though he died in 1987. Thought provoking, interesting post Heckarty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...