Friday 25 June 2010

Of Friends and Aprons!

Earlier in the week a lovely packet from Kathy thudded through my letter box! Inside was my prize shopping from Everyday Bliss' Etsy shops...and please note that it took me WEEKS (change that to MONTHS...) to decide what to choose; from time to time Kathy had to remind me not to forget (was that very Irish?)!
Well this is the result and...BE JEALOUS folks! be VERY jealous!!!

The two prints are from Flor Larios and are even more beautiful in reality than they are in her shop photos- I'll definitely be buying them as presents in the future, I can't stop looking at them which is why I got cheap frames to put them in for the time being, so they don't get spoilt with handling!

And d'you see the star necklace in the box? Its so pretty! Its in the dinkiest box too, real gift presented- this is from Happy Cloud Moments, and to be honest I'd like to buy up half her shop...for myself too, nothing so generous as presents!!

Kathy added the pirate card (I wonder why she thought wacky pirates would appeal to me?!...)- can't you just feel a quilt design coming on?? and the Flying Wish Paper- which I've never come across before but sounds such fun; you write a wish and then light it and it floats upwards!
I'm saving that to make wishes one evening when my girls are all home for the hols- I thought it would be fun and also something to remember!

So THANK YOU Kathy, so very much! I had such fun choosing my gifts, and they are giving me great pleasure now!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good friend emailed me this and I'm posting it because I expect it will amuse yous, as well as taking you for a little walk down Nostalgia Lane!

Remember Aprons?

Remember having to make one in Home Ec when you got to Secondary School?
The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material.

But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.. And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the Autumn, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folks knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

And another thing:Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw!

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love...
Thank you Diana for my lovely apron- I wear it with thankfulness for your kindness, and now I can add all the above reasons too!!!

5 comments:

Soggibottom said...

I loved the apron "thing"..
First thing I ever made, in the days that you learnt to do so..
:-) it is IRISH !
I was going to say silly bat there and changed my mind :-)
X X X

Unknown said...

I love your apron history! I never use aprons, I'm not sure if anyone from maybe from maybe my generation on did, although they have become popular again. I have a beautiful, crocheted apron, that was my grandmothers, all wrapped in tissue paper. I'd love to display it somehow...

Stopping by from The Lady Blogger's Society Tea Party to say hi!

Pamela Bousquet said...

Ms. "Beck":
THANK you for the trip down memory lane...my grandmother ALWAYS had an apron on...my mother did too, but not near as often.

Oh what memories - and most of those you mentioned, I can relate to well! Beautiful post, beautiful blog...and nice to meet you!
Peace,
Pam

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

I love all of the history about aprons... and you must be very grateful for all of the Etsy goodies!! They are absolutely fantastic!!

Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

:) Hazel

ladydi said...

I love your apron history! Just like Grandma, I wear an apron every day while cooking and washing dishes. I've never carried fresh eggs in it, though, or cleaned ears with it. I'm glad you like yours - it's fun to think of it having flown all the way to Ireland to help out in your kitchen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...