Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Lane and SUSPENSE!!

Last night we walked the dogs down the Lane by us. It connects two other lanes, but only a daring tractor would try to drive it, mostly its used by horses and walkers, and not many of those. Its a useful way to get around the countryside, there a lot of these old 'boreens' although many are sunk deep into the land through centuries of use, and inaccessible.
Sorry the photos are a bit dark, we were at the bottom of the valley and it was that in between light when the camera doesn't know whether to use flash or not (and I don't either!)
This is the Lane, with two puffed dogs- its neither wide nor surfaced!
...our house from the Lane, its actually built on the level and not about to slide down the hill!
Think this is an old 'sweat house', 9th to 15th C use, and since then used as huts and livestock shelters. There are a lot dotted around the west, another one is directly beside our house which led to the archaeologists' suspicion that our house was actually built in a 'rath', the second level of a Stone Age Fort. Not proved mind!
Does anyone know what these little flowers are? The bells are less than half an inch big.
Wild orchid! Isn't it a beaut!
This is one of the water manhole covers from town- they are all over the place, I've always thought the design was lovely! Nothing like a camera-mad woman on the loose!!
When Mount St Helens erupted in the '80s we had fantastic sunsets- I'm wondering whether the same will happen with the unpronounceable Iceland one? This sunset was over the weekend.
So many lovely comments yesterday- thank you so much! Its comforting to know other folks have yuck-awful weeks too: Here's to a GREAT week for ALL of us!!

As to what Sos was making with that disgusting mess- I didn't realise I'd forgotten to say...but since you've pointed it out I'm going to leave you in suspense until Thursday now when I'm going to her College end of term Exhibition! I'll take photos then and show you, I think you'll be wowed and agree the mess was worth it!!

9 comments:

Jane's Art said...

You live in such a fascinating place!!!
That really is a cool design on the man hole cover.

Andrea said...

Beautiful journey through your home land.
Hugs,
andrea

Ulla said...

What a lovely walk! The flower you asked looks a lot like nordic blueberry, Vaccínium vítis-idaéa. It drops the leaves in autumn but the twigs remain green during the winter. The berries are delicious, keep an eye on them. They are very dark blue when ready.

ladydi said...

How wonderful for you to show us some of the beauty in Ireland. You do realize that it sounds quite exotic to someone like me. Our manhole covers say "SEWER" on them, so of course I think of someone down there diligently sewing away. :>}

My son has a friend starting on his Master's Degree in Ireland in September. I'll have to find out which city he'll be in.

Susan R. Mills said...

What a beautiful environment. Thanks for the tour. I can't wait to find out what Sos was making.

Heart2Heart said...

I love all the magic that is found in each one of your pictures from the beautiful wild flowers, the grassy covered lanes, and just the beauty that abounds all over Ireland. Just many more reasons I need to visit. LOVE IT!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Terri Tiffany said...

I watched the movie Leap Year with my daughter this past week and thought of you--your pictures look so much like the country side there. It is beautiful!

Terri Tiffany said...

I watched the movie Leap Year with my daughter this past week and thought of you--your pictures look so much like the country side there. It is beautiful!

Trishia said...

Heckety, are the tour buses lined up at your front door yet?! I agree with LadyDi, I love the manhole covers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...