Monday 17 January 2011

Recycled Placemat Tutorial

I said I'd show you how the mat was made (as opposed to how the West was Won?), here you are!



Materials:
old jeans,
old wool sweater washed on 'hot' to shrink,
part of old sheet,
and leftover patchwork strip.


The mat I made was about 10" x 14". First I cut about 11" off a leg of the jeans, trimmed off the bulky lower hem, and cut along each seam to remove. (trying to sew through these seams is likely to break the needle on your machine.)
Then I rejoined the pieces with a flat seam, and cut off about a 3" strip from one end.
This is where I inserted the strip of patchwork, just to jazz it up a bit...not too short...
and not too long!! Seam it together and iron flat, whichever way the fabric sits best.
Next, the shrunk and dilapidated sweater! Use your mat top to cut out a piece the right size- I used the back of the sweater, and remember to cut off any seams too.
Next, cut out backing from a piece of cotton, I used old sheeting. Layer them together, backing, wool, and place mat top, pinning or tacking flat together.
I machine quilted the layers fairly densely as I am anticipating much wear and tear on the mat, but choose as you like. The denim does take some sewing as its tough.
Next, I trimmed all four sides of the mat, ready to add the binding. If you want square corners, be my guest. I rounded them off to make it easier to sew on the binding.(because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered with mitred corners?)
For the binding I cut a strip of cotton 1 1/2" wide. If you sew the binding on from the back, them when you fold it over you can machine stitch the front. I wouldn't normally do this, but the denim was too tough to hand stitch easily.
And hey presto! Bob's your Uncle!
One recycled mat, useful in all sorts of ways around the home!
**********************************************************************************
Apologies for the lateness of this post- mid-writing yesterday the most awful pain hit my head, after a weekend in bed with phantom ear-ache.
Doctor says no reason for pain, went to dentist...knew I'd regret that.
Butchery, to be finished in three weeks.
Jaw problems, to be seen to after that- knew I talked too much.
Today come out in ecczema and rash, body sympathising.
Yuck.
I'll be MIA for several days...I think....

3 comments:

Ulla said...

Thank you for the tutorial; I'm always recycling! Get well soon.

Soggibottom said...

:-)
No words :-) x x x
he he he :-)

Trishia said...

Miss Heckety, get well for your 15 minutes of fame. I just posted this blog post on my facebook page for my daughter:) She is the seamstress in the family...and I think she needs to make momma some of these placemats. Great design! Hope you are getting better:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...